BGM are assisting Wellington College in maintaining their garden and sports areas. We have looked after their first XI cricket square since the 2014 season and provide weekend attendance for all fixtures.
In addition we have provided six very experienced staff to support their grounds and garden departments.
Wellington College was first proposed during discussions between the Prime Minister, Lord Edward Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby, and Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, following the death in September 1852 of Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington, Field Marshal and twice Prime Minister.
They agreed that a charitable educational institution should be set up both as a monument to the Iron Duke and also as a living institution to educate the orphan sons of army officers – the original ‘Foundationers’.
Wellington College was granted its Royal Charter in December 1853 as the ‘Royal and Religious Foundation of The Wellington College’. The College was designed by John Shaw Jr (1803-1870) with Queen Victoria laying the foundation stone in 1856.